FTSE 100
Dow Jones
Nasdaq
CAC40
Dax

Tuesday 19 July 2011

The geeks will inherit the earth

Some more good news on the home front.  I apologise for being a day or two behind, but I am on holiday in France (more on that later), but news reaches me over the internet that Tom Pellereau has won The Apprentice. As you may be aware I am not an avid watcher of TV programmes, and do not hold a TV license (although here in France with a VPN connection to a UK based IP address I gather I might be able to watch live UK TV without a UK TV license, although I would probably need a French one).

Nevertheless, I wanted Tom to win as an example of how brains, common sense and a pleasant manner can triumph over the brash self-regarding pushiness of most of the candidates. In reality, the decision can't have been too difficult for Lord Sugar.  Who do you give £250k to, a smart bloke with good ideas and large dollops of honesty and charm, or any of a dozen pushy losers with inflated egos?

I think I met Tom briefly when he was still a teenager.  I have certainly met both of his sisters and have known his parents ever since his younger sistesr and my youngest daughter were the two smallest girls in their school, and they have been great friends ever since. His parents are equally charming, and Matthew and Phillippa, your son is a great credit to you.

No comments: