FTSE 100
Dow Jones
Nasdaq
CAC40
Dax

Tuesday 16 August 2011

I must be turning into a grumpy old man


But I fail to understand this upgrade.  I went to the BT Broadband Availability Checker website and typed in my home telephone number, and I got the following:
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Well actually, I usually do considerably better than that, at least 5Mbps and as high as 8 at times
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5Mbps.
OK, but as I said already, I am doing better than that, although I would think it could hardly get worse. ADSL Max simply reduces the amount of attenuation.
Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 500Kbps and upstream line speed of 100Kbps.
Excuse me, but I am less than 300m from the nearest BT cabinet and they are telling me that the most I can expect to get is a tenth of the speed I currently get from an exchange that is nearly 3 miles away? Not exactly worth the 50% extra monthly subscription, is it?

No comments: